The circumstances were:
- John Wyatt was employed by Tynedale Roadstone Limited and had been carrying out an inspection of the conveyor area
- Mr Wyatt had gained access to the conveyor area to carry out an inspection,
- Safety gates to the plant had been fitted with locks to restrict access these had been disabled
- He slipped and fell forward and was caught up in the snub pulley roller and the conveyor belt.
- There were no suitable risk assessments,
- There were inadequate safe systems of work
- There was a lack of information and instruction for employees.
Unguarded or poorly guarded machinery is the cause of many injuries in workplaces across the country. Latest figures revealed eight workers were killed and more than 1,000 were seriously injured as a result of contact with the dangerous moving parts of machines.