Tuesday, 25 February 2014

2 things you should know if you have air conditioning systems

If you have air conditioning systems, then you need to be aware of the following:

  • If the refrigerant in the system is an HCFC (see below), then it needs to be replaced by the end if this year.
  • If the total power of your air conditioning systems is 12 kW or more, then they must be inspected at least every 5 years.  The regulations that specify this are the Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) Regulations where this is buried in the middle as regulation 21. 
How do I know the refrigerant is an HCFC?
Simply check the label on the air conditioning unit (the section outside, not the bits in the rooms).  This will state the code of the refrigerant, say R22 or R410A.  Check this against the list in Technical paper 10 available from 
http://www.strategicsafety.co.uk/Information.html .

No comments:

Post a Comment