Sunday, 8 November 2015

Dundee company fined after worker died from inhaling paint stripper fumes

Diamond Wheels (Dundee) Limited, of Nethergate, Dundee, was fined £50,000 after a worker died after inhaling fumes while cleaning a chemical stripping paint tank at a motor vehicle repair company. 
The circumstances were:
  • Steven Conway, 33, from Dundee, was employed by Diamond Wheels (Dundee) Limited to undertake general duties 
  • These duties included collections and deliveries, removing and replacing tyres, and moving alloy wheels into, and out of, the chemical stripping tank.
  • Mr Conway was provided with no formal training in respect of the use of the chemical stripping tank and the chemical stripping agent used by the company. 
  • Instead he was given ‘on the job’ training. 
  • On 18 August 2011, he was attempting to remove stripping debris from within the chemical stripping tank.
  • He was overcome by dichloromethane vapour while and died as a result of his exposure to those vapours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment