- GBN Services, which has five recycling sites, had failed to implement its own isolation and lock-off procedures at this site.
- The company had previously been served with a number of enforcement notices, including one for a similar guarding failing at another site.
- On 29 May 2013, a worker was attempting to realign the in-feed conveyor belt on a
newly-installed waste separating machine.
- Power to the machine had been turned off and a protective guard removed to enable access to the belt.
- After finishing the task, the worker reactivated the power to the machine without refitting the guard.
- His left arm was drawn in between the two belts, and he suffered crush injuries.