Thursday, 21 May 2015

Worker killed by 240V cable from a "redundant" system

Natures Ways Foods, a fresh produce manufacturing company of Chichester, was been fined £200,000 (inc. costs) after a worker was killed after coming into contact with a live 240V electrical cable.
The circumstances were:
  • Natures Way Foods had plenty of opportunity to deal with redundant cables but it was always assumed they were not live.
  • Cabling from old electrical systems was not identified, isolated or removed in a controlled way.
  • Bradley Watts, a 21 year old sub-contractor, was lagging pipes in the loft space of Natures Ways Foods premises on 2 June 2011. 
  • He came into contact with a 240V live electrical cable and was electrocuted. He was pronounced dead at the scene by the ambulance crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment