Friday, 12 August 2016

Herbs in a Bottle were fined £50,000 after a worker died from exposure to a toxic gas.

Herbs in a Bottle Limited, a medicinal herbal manufacturing company in Lincolnshire, was fined £49,842 (inc.costs) after a worker died from exposure to a toxic gas.
The circumstances were:
  • On 2 September 2014, Karl Brader was using cleaning chemicals to clean a changing room.
  • No Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment had been carried out.
  • Mr Brader had not been trained in the safe use of chemicals.
  • He was exposed to a toxic gas (likely to be chlorine) and died at the scene.

The HSE Inspector said:
“This was a tragic industrial incident that was entirely preventable had suitable precautions been taken. Karl Brader had not received any training in the safe use of hazardous chemicals and as a result died from the exposure to a toxic gas. 
Companies should ensure that they assess all the risks associated with the use of dangerous chemical and that exposure to their employees is either eliminated or minimised.”

No comments:

Post a Comment